AQUAMAT® HD is great for nurseries. Its thicker surface layers have been designed to resist footsteps and the passage of light vehicles.
Growers can develop a custom watering schedule to fit their own plans and the needs of their crops. For example, programs may vary from 1 to 3 minutes once or twice a day, depending on weather conditions and crop stage. Through correct timing, crops can stay moist through the next day's cycle. This uniformity will encourage even crop growth.
Overhead irrigation may also be combined with sub-irrigation
The ground should be perfectly level and free of all debris. A layer of sand or fine gravel of 3 to 5 cm (1 to 2 inches) can be used in order to level an uneven surface and also protect the polyethylene layer.
Eyelets make AQUAMAT® easy to anchor and can be installed when specified with your order.
The container design must be accessible to subirrigation systems. Pots having two levels of drainage holes provide optimal aeration, drainage and contact with the surface of the mat. Commercial container designs are usually acceptable.
Important: all container designs have to have at least one drainage hole which touches AQUAMAT®.
- Pots of 7.5cm (3in), model AZE: 2 levels of holes, including 4 in the lower level for capillary rise and 4 on the upper level for draining purposes.
- 1 to 2 gallon pots: holes of 2cm ( in) in diameter.
- 3 to 5 gallon pots (mature plants): holes of 2.5cm (1 inch) in diameter.
- Trays: the bottom must be open so as to allow the base of the container to touch AQUAMAT® directly.
Quality substrates optimize capillary action and maximize the efficiency of the AQUAMAT® system. A mix which contains more than 50% of sphagnum peat ensures excellent results.
- A minimum of 30% (ideally 50%) of sphagnum peat or coconut fibers.
- For woody plants, please use substrates made of bark (up to 70%) or coconut fibres.
- Texture: avoid materials whose particles are too fine (less than 0.25mm) or too crude (more than 10mm).
- Including a wetting agent in the irrigation water (10ppm) can increase the water-retention rate of the substrate.
- If irrigating by spray, surfactant agents must be sprayed on the anti-root layer so as to ensure instant water penetration.
Avoid: algae-based liquid fertilizers or fish emulsions. All other types of soluble fertilizers can be used with AQUAMAT®. Depending on the type of plantation, it is recommended to reduce the usual amount (up to 50%).
Continuous fertilization which exceed 200ppm of nitrogen (N) should be avoided since it can cause salt accumulation inside the mattress. The use of alkalinizing or acidifying additives should conform to cultivation standards.
Important! – Pesticides and growth regulators
Growth regulators and pesticides must be used sparingly. Systemic pesticides injected by sub-irrigation or having important residual properties are to be avoided with AQUAMAT®. Application of foliage pesticides is the most recommended method when within the norms and the recommendations of your agronomist.